Winter Garden Bicycle Accident Lawyer
When riding your bike in Central Florida, surrounded by the larger, heavier motor vehicles speeding by, you can see how serious injuries and fatalities are common in bicycle collisions. These tragedies occur far too frequently when motorists fail to drive safely around vulnerable road users, though it is a relief to know that there are legal remedies for victims. Goldman Law, P.A. will be at your side to assist with all essential tasks, so please contact us to schedule a free consultation with a Winter Garden bicycle accident lawyer today.
Facts About Florida Bicycle Collisions
Initially, you should be aware that crashes involving bicycles are covered by the same liability laws that apply to other traffic accidents. You must prove that the at-fault motorist was negligent, i.e., failed to exercise reasonable care and drive safely. Some additional points are also important:
- Florida’s rules of the road apply to all, including bicycle riders. You must comply with lights, signage, lane markings, and other traffic controls, as well as right of way laws.
- Compliance with traffic laws is important for your safety and avoiding a ticket, but also for your legal rights. Florida applies the law of comparative negligence, in which your compensation could be reduced if you were also careless. Failure to obey the rules could be an indication of your own negligence as a bike rider.
- Florida’s statute of limitations allows you four years to seek compensation after a bicycle accident, so you lose your rights if you do not file a lawsuit within this time.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
There are multiple factors present in a bike crash that make it very likely the rider will sustain severe injuries. The size differential between a bicycle and automobile is considerable, and there is no metal barrier to protect the rider from a violent impact. Worse, a bicyclist will almost always be tossed from the bike. The secondary impact of hitting the ground or other hard surface can lead to significant trauma.
Some of the most common bicycle collision injuries include:
- Cuts, scrapes, and lacerations;
- Concussion and traumatic brain injury (TBI);
- Broken bones, particularly to the lower extremities; and
- Spinal cord and neck injuries.
Legal Help with the Claims Process
The first step in the process after a bicycle accident is filing a claim with the at-fault motorist’s insurer and attempting to settle. Goldman Law, P.A. will submit essential forms and evidence, and we will protect your interests during negotiations. If the insurer refuses to settle, our Winter Garden bicycle accidents lawyers will sue in court to get fair compensation for:
- Medical costs;
- Lost wages;
- Pain and suffering; and
- Emotional anguish.
Speak to a Winter Garden Bicycle Accident Lawyer About Your Rights
For more information about your legal options and the process for recovering compensation after a bike collision, please contact Goldman Law, P.A. We are happy to set up a complimentary case review with a Winter Garden bicycle accidents lawyer. After learning more about your situation, we can discuss strategy and next steps.